A Look at the Latest Plastic Surgery Trends
Every year the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the world’s largest organization of board certified plastic surgeons, releases an annual report on plastic surgery. The prestigious board has just released its report for 2015 and the statistics reveal several interesting trends. In this blog post, Dr. David Sayah breaks down the report’s findings.
Lift Surgeries are on the Rise
The number of surgical lifts (body contouring procedures that remove excess skin and tighten remaining tissue and skin) performed increased in 2015. The top procedures that showed considerable growth were:
- Breast lifts (99,614 procedures performed in 2015, up 89 percent since 2000)
- Buttocks lifts (4,767 procedures performed in 2015, up 252 percent since 2000)
- Lower body lifts (8,431 procedures performed in 2015, up 3,973 percent since 2000)
- Upper arm lifts (17,099 procedures performed in 2015, up 4,959 percent since 2000)
Butts are the New Breasts
There was a time when breast surgery was synonymous with plastic surgery. And while those are still popular, procedures focusing on enhancing the derriere were the fastest growing type of cosmetic surgery in 2015. In fact, according to ASPS, there was a buttock procedure every 30 minutes of every day, on average! The top buttocks procedures in 2015 were:
- Butt augmentation with fat grafting (14,705 procedures)
- Butt lift (4,767 procedures)
- Butt implants (2,540 procedures)
More Men Getting Breast Reduction
Of the 68,106 breast reduction surgeries performed in 2015, men accounted for more than 40 percent of those procedures. A total of 27,456 male breast reduction surgeries were performed on men in 2015, a 5 percent increase from 2014.
Top Five Surgical Procedures
A total of 1.7 million cosmetic surgical procedures were performed in 2015. The top five procedures performed were:
- Breast augmentation (279,143 procedures)
- Liposuction (222,051 procedures)
- Rhinoplasty (217,979 procedures)
- Eyelid surgery (203,934 procedures)
- Tummy tuck (127,967 procedures)
Top Five Minimally Invasive Procedures
Of the 14.2 million cosmetic minimally invasive procedures performed in 2015, the top five were:
- Botox (6.7 million procedures)
- Soft tissue fillers (2.4 million procedures)
- Chemical peel (1.3 million procedures)
- Laser hair removal (1.1 million procedures)
- Microdermabrasion (800,340 procedures)
Interested in Learning More about Plastic Surgery?
Has hearing about the latest trends in plastic surgery sparked your interest in enhancing your appearance? To learn more about your plastic surgery options, schedule a consultation with one of Beverly Hills’ most trusted plastic surgeons. Please call Dr. Sayah’s office at (310) 905-8405.